8 & 9 Year Old Division Basketball Rules
The WBCYC is committed to providing a positive and supportive environment for children. “Where every kid plays and volunteers count!”
- Absolutely NO jewelry
- Baskets will be set at 9 foot
- NCAA Rules govern league play for girls and National Federation for boys. No three point field goals.
- All players should receive an equal amount of playing time. Every 5 minutes the coach must rotate their players. (If the team has less then 10 players all players must be rotated, every child should have an equal amount of playing time.)
- The game will consist of 2 halves, 20 minutes each half, running time. No overtime is played at this level.
- Blue color uniform designates the home team, gold the visitors.
- The scoreboard is used for time and registering the score. At the end of the 1st Half, the score must be rest to 0. This is a mandatory rule; it is not up to the discretion of the Coaches, Referees or Coordinators. If a team goes ahead by more than 15 points in one half, the score will be reset to 0.
- Head coaches for each team can provide instructions to players while they are on the floor.
- Game will commence with a jump ball.
- Teams will play zone defense only.
- Pressing is not allowed in the backcourt.
- The defensive guards must not go beyond the top of the key.
- The defensive team must maintain their zone position (determination will be made by the referee).
- No stealing off the dribble.
- Once the ball has changed possession, as a direct result of a rebound, stolen or errant pass or take away from a dribbler, the team now on offense must drop back to defense.
- Personal fouls will be called.
- Free throws:
- There will be no penalty or bonus free throws for team violations.
- Fouls in the act of shooting will result in 2 free throws.
- The free throw line is 9 feet from the face of the backboard (regulation is 12 feet).
- Each team is allowed two 1 minute time outs, 1 in the first half and the 2nd in the second half (time outs can not be carried over into the next half).
- Games can not be rescheduled.
- Coaches can be replaced based on the Board of Directors discretion.